Saturday, January 27, 2007

Winter in the South

OK, it's not so bad, at least today wasn't. We had a high of almost 60 and a lot of sun, so I decided to join the famous Mike Livingston for a road ride in the Gaps today. I wasn't sure what to expect, since my only two previous rides with the former Michigander were..um...kind of sufferfests (in a good way, of course) ;) He was actually nice to me today, and the pace remained as what I intended..even base miles to round out the end of my rest week, and the end of my first training block. The next training block is going to be a bit more work than this past one was, so I need to be ready to go on Tuesday. The only problem with the ride was that I was WAY too overdressed. After being miserably cold lately, I was paranoid and basically took everything I had for cold weather gear. I even had chemical body warmers shoved into my pocket in case the descents were frigid. Well, I didn't need any of it, but it made for a good extra 10lb. of training weight!

I can't wait to get my new Unit 2-9! It will be a size smaller than the one I have been riding, so I'm expecting better handling. Hopefully it is here before the 12 hours of Razorback. I don't think I will have my new wheels by then, though. I'm so excited, the Industry Nine wheels are beautiful!! I just need to decide what color will match this:



I'm hoping to have this bike UNDER 25lb. I'm still looking for a new saddle that's reasonably light, and I'll probably be in the market for a new bar soon..I think I'm going to ditch the Jones bars for racing..a nice wide Ti bar would be nice. I'll wait to see what my bike fit tells me I need, a riser or flat.

Good Luck to Eddie O, his first race of the season is tomorrow at the 6 hours of Carter Park in Lakeland, FL. He will be racing Tinker for the first time this season...but not the last. Their race schedules look pretty identical.

6 Comments:

Blogger dicky said...

As far as the bar goes (and I know I'm talking to THE bike fit people) I'm down with Guitar Ted. All that matter's is where your hands end up. Risers, stems with rise, spacers, or a custom bike with the right headtube length can put your hands in the right position. I can use my flat ti bars with a 10mm spacer under my zero deg rise stem. I coulda skipped the spacer and used my carbon low rise bar (same sweep and width as the ti), but I wanted to use the ti bars for comfort.
Nice choice on the wheels.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Mike Livingston said...

Hey Namrita,

We're just living the dream..January 60 degrees and riding in the mountains..I brought the camera but didn't take any pictures..oops! Would have been a cool shot next to the frozen lake.

Thanks again for the ride!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

Yes, I hear you..I want to see where my saddle ends up, and then where my drop needs to be from the saddle. I hopefully have enough spacers (I have enough stems) to play around with so that I can use a flat Ti bar. I really like the feeling of the Ti since I've been using the Jones. I don't think my Niner flat bar will help me reach my goal of sub 25 lb. ;)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

Mike, don't forget you have to email me that video you took of the sun shining, so I can send it to Danielle :)

hehe.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Don't you dare send me any pictures of sun. 60 degrees? Are you kidding me?

That's it. I'm packing up the car and coming down there. You and Eddie are about to have a new roommate :-)

2:24 PM  
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

Danielle,

Ok. Bring Michigan Beer.

:)

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home