Sunday, September 09, 2007

"That bike is PINK!!" (6 hours of Conyers Race Report)


















I don't know how many times I heard "That bike is pink!!" yesterday. Yeah, it's pink all right. Can't miss me coming.....



The race itself was great, Dirty Spokes Productions puts on a smooth running event. My race was plagued with stomach problems..worst I've had in a race all year (I've had them all week, so that didn't help either). It was hot, and the course was rough on SS. After three hours, all the climbs were starting to hurt a lot. I knew, though, that 2nd place wasn't too far back, and I also knew that she was walking all the climbs. Riding them as often as possible is what would let me keep my lead. I was dreading doing 9 laps, but fortunately I didn't make the cutoff, and I ended up with 8 laps. That was good enough for 1st place solo singlespeed female AND BONUS!! 1st place solo female overall! Yup, not only did I come in 1st of the SS females, I came in ahead of all the geared females! I also did the same number of laps as the winning female team. I sure didn't expect any of that, so that was a nice surprise. Not to say it wasn't painful, though.

The rigid 29er Jabberwocky was great. The big wheels, 2.55 front tire, and Pitchfork made my first race on no suspension bearable. The only thing that sucked was the brake bumps that develop on this trail...one descent in particular was just sheer pain after 5 hours..I dreaded it more than the steep climbs. I'm not sure I will race this bike for the endurance stuff much. I have to admit suspension is nice after 6 hours in the saddle. However, the bike will be my primary riding/training bike from now on. Did I mention how pretty it is?? Hodge did an awesome job with the wheels, too. I got tons of complements on them.


Tired, huh?

Womens SS Podium




Thanks to Eddie for the support, and also to Scott Hodge & Cody from Addictive Cycles. Thanks also to Vassago Cycles and WTB for setting me up with a fast pink bike. Time to get ready for the next one! More pictures here and Carl Mesta's are here.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Evil MGE! said...

Congrats Namrita on a awesome race.
Pull ups and forearm curls should help with dealing with the rigid. Also remember to keep the body loose in the descents while keeping the front end light. I've been walking away from many of my suspension buds while riding rigid.

Even beating the women teams? I think your sponsor needs to pony up a new Shelby Mustang for that. ;)

12:41 PM  
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

So, I assume you already have Ayla on an upper-body strength training program to get her ready for the rigid?? ;)

No, I didn't actually beat the women teams, I just did the same number of laps..that's different! :)

I think we may be coming up your way sometime in the relatively near future...

12:45 PM  
Blogger allan said...

Congrats Namrita. Awesome race.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Good grief...there is no stopping you! Congrats again...you rock!!!!!!!

BTW-have I mentioned how much I like your bike?

8:17 PM  
Blogger The Evil MGE! said...

Yea, got her doing summersaults and handstands. She'll be on a rigid 12er before ya know it.

Same difference, ask for the velvet fringe pillow with the glow in the dark devil's head while your at it.

I'm secretly in training to take Eddie down. shhh...he ain't supposed to know.

Seriously let me know. I'd love to ride with the two of ya.

8:39 PM  
Blogger ExtrmTao said...

Nice work Namrita! Way to take it to those gearies.

6:56 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

Congrats Nam!!! Love you - you are the woman.

Awesome job on the race - especially after only just receiving the bike and building it rigid. You're on fire!

Definitely ask your sponsor for the Mustang and Fringe Pillow - maybe custom colors! :) talk soon.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Duckman said...

Awesome Namrita. GIHP is tough on a rigid bike. Way to gut it out.

If you get a Mustang, see if you can get me a Granny Smith Green Element with Vassago in huge letters down the side. (I'd drive it).

7:07 PM  
Blogger chocolate girl said...

Congrats, Nam! You da man. Da man on a rippin' paynk bike! Love it!

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home