Monday, April 14, 2008

you never know what you're going to get

I got an invitation in the mail several weeks ago to attend an Honors Banquet at the University. I pretty much just figured it was some silly ribbon for getting all "A"s so I didn't think much of it. In fact, I didn't even put the event on my calendar. Well, in the same email that I got today about not being able to do my internship in Michigan this summer, my professor said she'd be available to talk to me in person about it at the awards banquet. Banquet? Oops! I had forgotten all about it. I contemplated not going at all..would anyone even notice if I wasn't there? I decided I should probably just show up so I rushed to shower and find something that wasn't Twin Six or denim to wear. This is harder than you'd think at my house.

When I arrived, I got a blue ribbon with a name tag and a program. They instructed me on where to sit, and that I would have to line up on the right to receive my award. I didn't recognize anyone but a few faculty members and two other masters nutrition students which was strange. I flipped through the program and on the first page I flipped to I saw my name: Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year: Namrita Kumar O'Dea. HUH?? My first thought was oh shit..I'm glad I didn't wear jeans. But, still, I wasn't dressed up and everyone around me was dressed in business attire. This was more than receiving a blue ribbon for getting all "A"s. Anyway, I'll fast forward through the rest but basically I got my award and attended the reception where I was able to thank several people face to face before I had to rush off to class.

So, I'm glad I decided to go..and I guess the point is...um...life is like a box of chocolates...or something like that :)

9 Comments:

Blogger cathi said...

congrats!! you didn't have to make an impromptu speech did you?

7:26 PM  
Blogger allan said...

Congrats Nam. Badass mountainbiker and a brain.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

thanks guys. um, no speech! phew. thank goodness i'm not that important :)

4:47 AM  
Blogger Eddie O said...

Smarty pants.

8:09 AM  
Blogger ChefSara said...

congratulations! it's odd, though, that they wouldn't have notified you before hand that you were getting such an award! way to go!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Smarty Pants times two!!!

Congrats!!!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats!
I know this is the wrong place for this but,

Just curious, what gear ratio to you run 32x19?

Thanks

5:40 PM  
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

thanks! yes, normally i run 32x19.

5:50 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Congrats Nam. You're awesome! Eddie better hold on to you girl! :)

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home