Monday, December 03, 2007

Not really what I had in mind

Saturday was great, but Sunday....not so much. I was supposed to go exploring with Dave Muse and Eddie..one of the last sections of the Trans GA route. But, unfortunately I had too much schoolwork to do (but today is my last day of class WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!) That, and my shoulder was still bothering me so I didn't want to aggravate it on the SS. So, I spent a perfectly gorgeous, warm December weekend day INDOORS working :( Poor me. Well, Eddie and Dave had a good ride and I'm real anxious to team up with a few people and ride this thing...unfortunately my 2008 racing plan doesn't allow for me to do it continuously anytime soon, it's 325 miles (roughly) and 50K of climbing. But, riding long sections of it from opposite ends with a few people and car swapping should work great. Then, maybe in 2009 I'll have the time to attempt my first unsupported multi-day trip.

I think the worst part of my day is that I had too much time on my hands and got sucked into some local mtb forum posts that have some clueless, self-righteous people bitching about dogs on a trail. Someone even posted that he was pissed that he ran across a woman with a dog on a trail at the end of his ride IN PISGAH. Wow, you saw a dog on a trail in Pisgah? How dare someone other than you on your fancy mountain bike get to experience Pisgah. Give me a break, and read this.

So now, not only are some of the posters on MTBR on my "ignore" list, so is any post that has the words "Blankets Creek" or "Dogs" on the SORBA forum.

Anyway....my shoulder is feeling better today, but I'm still laying off the upper body weights for the week. And, I need a trip to Dr. Glass!

Oh, and I really want a CROSS BIKE.

And, by the way..this is why I ride mountain bikes with my dogs:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a mountain biker myself, I always thought it was cool seeing dogs out there running with their owner on a trail. Makes me wish I had a dog. My theory is, as long as the dog doesn't bite and doesn't want to jump on every biker (and thereby take them out) then more power to you. But to be honest, I have never heard of anyone getting bit by a dog or taken out by a dog mountain biking. I have heard of it happening with deer, but not dogs.

There, that is my 2 cent comment.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Harvey said...

You should explain why you take your dogs riding for those clueless enough not to see it in the pictures: BECAUSE THEY LOVE IT!!!

I read that forum thread you mentioned and unfortunately I find the same solution as you: Take them someplace more low-key where the people are cool and don't expect their ride in the woods to be as controlled as a Disneyland ride.

Maybe they can hire trappers to rid Blanket's of all the wildlife so nobody gets taken out by an errant deer.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Arleigh Jenkins said...

We have that argument about twice a year on the local forums here in Charlotte.

I ride with my dog when it is cool out during the warmer months she gets WAY too hot to run for more than 3 miles. As a woman who rides alone I feel safer with my dog. Also it is great exercise for her, and makes her a happy dog. I will say that I'm not a fan of people that take their either a. untrained dog, or b. dog to a busy park. It isn't safe for the dog or people. Now to pisgah? Hundreds of miles of riding, I wish I could take my pups up there more often.

3:41 PM  
Blogger SurlyGirl said...

I just started taking my dog out with me this past summer. She loves it, and it's such good exercise for her. So far she hasn't bothered anyone else, but I'm just waiting for the day someone gets pissed.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

yes, i agree with all of you.

the thing that is funny is eddie and i are OVER-paranoid about it, so we rarely take them anywhere..and if we do happen to go to blankets (maybe 4 times a YEAR), we don't even ride the trail with them, we take a short section of trail to the lake where we play with them in the water, and ride around the edge of the lake. we would never take them anywhere that was busy...nor would we take them on a weekend. all our dog ride time is during the week, during normal people work hours.

i actually dislike those attitudes so much that i usually prefer to ride elsewhere anyway.

oh well, sounds like it will always be an issue everywhere. i'm not about to lock my dogs in the house though..that's not really why i got them.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Ron George said...

hey

if you dont know what im talking about, you must neglect this.

but it seems to me like you've been conveniently trashing my comments. not a good thing to do, you know censorship. sure im a nobody to you but relax you're on www. and i take some time off to read other's cycling adventures. im not going to cry but the fact is, if you can't face what readers write you shouldn't even have a blog. just shows you don't respect my time...
im going to have to tell myself not to look over your blog anymore. thx.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home